What's Lurking Just Below the Surface?
There are few things scarier than a full-blown flea invasion. Fleas can be scary because they're small, tend to hide in the shadows, and bite without warning. Whatever the reason, fleas must be dealt with immediately because they multiply quickly and carry disease.
If you've recently discovered a flea on your pet, there's no need to panic. It's possible your pet simply picked up a flea while playing outside. At least, that's the hope. However, if you notice more than one flea or flea activity, such as flea eggs (resembling dandruff or salt) or flea dirt (resembling dirt or pepper residue), you need to investigate further.
An obvious flea infestation requires little guesswork. For example, if you experience constant bites while walking through your home, or if fleas literally jump in mid-air to greet you each morning, there's little doubt you have a flea infestation. But what if it's not so obvious? How can you know if fleas are living in your carpet?
Hunt for Clues
Fleas are sneaky creatures, but they can't hide forever! You can lure fleas out by using the sock method.1 Find a pair of white, knee-high, or calf-length socks and wear them around your home for several hoursâexposing as much of the sock as possible to any carpeted areas. Eventually, fleas will come out of hiding and attach themselves to your "trendy" socks.
If, after several hours, you discover flea activity, such as adult fleas or flea dirt, on your socks, then you know for sure that you have fleas living in your carpet.
Destroy the Evidence
If you discover flea activity in your carpet, it's time to act!
- Vacuum all carpeted areas, upholstery, and pet beds. Make sure you empty the canister contents outside your home to prevent the fleas from returning.
- Wash all toys, pillows, and blankets that may have been exposed to flea activity in hot water.
- Treat your home with Adams Flea and Tick Home Spray or Adams Flea and Tick Carpet & Home Spray. Both products eliminate flea activity and protect your carpet for up to seven months. If you have a particularly bad infestation, you may also want to consider using Adams Flea and Tick Indoor Fogger.
Guard Against Future Invasions
Once you rid your house of all flea activity, it's time to protect your turf against future infestations. While home remedies are popular, there are a few things to consider. Some home remedies can cause eye and lung irritation2 for both you and your pet. Dish soap traps, which are also popular, are messy and challenging to keep away from curious pets.
Instead, use a three-pronged approach to protect your yard, home, and pet. Guard your yard against future flea invasions by using Adams Yard & Garden Spray. This product kills fleas and other pests for up to four weeks. Give your home ongoing protection with the Adams Plus Flea & Tick Carpet Spray. The spray breaks the flea life cycle and controls reinfestation for up to seven months.
Lastly, you want to protect your pet against future flea attacks. Consider using Adams Flea and Tick Collar Plus for Dogs & Puppies or the Adams Plus Flea and Tick Collar for Cats to help prevent future flea activity. These collars protect pets from fleas for up to seven months. If you see signs of flea activity, bathe your pet with Adams Plus Flea and Tick Foaming Shampoo & Wash for Dogs or Cats. This product kills fleas, flea eggs, ticks, and lice.
Fleas are no laughing matter. Once discovered, fleas need to be eliminated to ensure your pet stays happy and healthy. With a few simple tools, you can make sure your home and your pet are flea-free.
- Pat. "How to Tell if You Have Fleas: 9 Unmistakable Signs of Fleas." Pesthacks.com, https://pesthacks.com/how-to-tell-if-you-have-fleas-signs-of-fleas/
- Ullman, Michelle. âNon-Toxic Ways to Get Rid of Fleas From the Carpet." Home Guides, 9 Dec. 2018, http://homeguides.sfgate.com/nontoxic-ways-rid-fleas-carpet-80448.html